Stone Setting (Neol/bronze Age)
- Council Stirling
- Parish Balquhidder
- Former Region Central
- Former District Stirling
- Former County Perthshire
NN52SW 4 5389 2076.
In the haugh below the manse, Balquhidder, are seven stones remaining of a circle which appears to have been c.30ft in diameter. Only one stone is upright but there are fragments of others lying about. They are known as "Clachan-Aoraidh" - the worshipping stones.
J M Gow 1887.
What is locally assumed to be the circle referred to by Gow is situated at NN 5389 2076. In its present form it cannot be considered an antiquity.
It comprises five boulders, all about 1.3m high and 1.0m across the base, four of which are arranged in a rough arc with the fifth outside. They may have been positioned artificially - the most northerly appears to overlie, or be inserted into an old turf-covered wall (possibly the side of a building) which extends for a short distance to the north.
The name "Clachan Aoraidh" could not be confirmed.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (E G C) 22 January 1969.
Five irregularly-shaped boulders as described in the previous information. One of the easternmost stones may be considered an upright but the others are certainly recumbent and apparently placed at random. These stones cannot be identified as a stone circle in their present position and are of doubtful antiquity.
Visited by OS (B S) 20 March 1979.