Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Fraser, Sundial

Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Castle Fraser, Sundial

Classification Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Fraser Estate

Canmore ID 241413

Site Number NJ71SW 6.17

NGR NJ 72335 12717

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/241413

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Cluny
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Architecture Notes

NJ71SW 6.17 72335 12703

Activities

Field Visit (May 1996 - May 1996)

B003 Sundial Listed Cat. A.

A 17th century sundial is located in the upper part of the Walled Garden. The dial is of freestone and the basic shape is cubic with a lectern-shaped top, with several different types of dials on different facets, including gnomon-less incised dials. It sits on a hexagonal-section granite shaft and is unsecured, making it susceptible to misalignment, damage and theft.

The same sundial is shown approx. 50m east of the Castle on the 1st and 2nd Edition OS maps. It is recorded that the sundial was removed by Mrs Mackenzie Fraser in 1921 when the Castle was sold to Lord Cowdray. It was returned by Clive Pearson and later positioned in its present location by the Trust in 1979.

(CAF96 B003) Information from (BNM) March 2014

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions