Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, East Fountainbridge, Palladium

Bingo Hall (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Nightclub (20th Century), Theatre (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, East Fountainbridge, Palladium

Classification Bingo Hall (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Nightclub (20th Century), Theatre (19th Century)

Canmore ID 240799

Site Number NT27SW 4050

NGR NT 24973 73136

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/240799

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 4050 24973 73136

Originally built as a circus, opening in 1886 the building was gradually converetd to a cinema and was showing films by 1908. Rebuilt as a proper cinema to open in 1911. Closed as a cinema in 1932 and subsequently used as a theatre. Closed in 1966 and converted to a bingo hall, later used as a disco and then demolished. The site is now occupied by Government offices.

B Thomas 1984 and information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2003

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions