Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 125 Fountainbridge, Coliseum

Ballroom (20th Century), Bingo Hall (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Club (20th Century), Skating Rink (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 125 Fountainbridge, Coliseum

Classification Ballroom (20th Century), Bingo Hall (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Club (20th Century), Skating Rink (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Fountainbridge; Palais De Dance

Canmore ID 240634

Site Number NT27SW 4047

NGR NT 24670 72878

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/240634

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

General view of Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, taken from the north-west.
General view of Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, taken from the north-west.Detail of license application on east elevation of former Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, EdinburghView of west wall of former Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, from westView of west wall of former Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, from westView of front from NWView of front from NWOblique aerial view centred on the Fountainbridge cinema and the Union Canal basin, Edinburgh, taken from the WNW.General view of Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, taken from the north-west.View of east elevation of former Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, from south-eastView of front from NWView of Fountainbridge, Edinburgh including Palais de Danse (on site of iron foundry and saw mill). The buildings in the centre (former iron foundry and garage/smithy) facing onto the road have been replaced by dwellings and by Tollcross Primary School at no.115 Fountainbridge which is on the site of the old cattle market/slaughterhouseGeneral view of Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, taken from the north-east.View of west wall and front facade of former Coliseum, 125 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, from westGeneral oblique aerial view centred on the cinema, canal basin and offices, taken from the S.General oblique aerial view centred on the cinema, canal basin and offices, taken from the SE.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Converted from a skating rink and opened in 1911 as the largest cinema in Edinburgh. Run jointly as a cinema and ballroom (Palais de Dance). Closed as a cinema in 1942. Later converted to a bingo/social club.

B Thomas 1984

Activities

Standing Building Recording (6 January 2015 - 7 January 2015)

AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by Vita Edinburgh 1 Limited to undertake a building survey of the former Mecca Bingo Hall located at 125 Fountainbridge in Edinburgh prior to its demolition. The building was originally constructed in around 1911 - 1912 on the site of a former iron foundry and saw mill. At least part of it is an ice rink, but this was later converted to a cinema (called the Coliseum) and then a dance hall (called the Palais de Danse). It closed down as a Dance Hall in the early 1970s. After a period of redundancy, the building then functioned as the Mecca Bingo Hall, which closed down in the 2000s.

Information from Diana Sproat (AOC Archaeology Group) 7 January 2015. OASIS ID - aocarcha1-199771

Excavation (5 December 2016 - 24 January 2017)

NT 24664 72893 A programme of archaeological work was undertaken, 5 December 2016 – 24 January 2017, on the site of the former Mecca Bingo Hall in advance of development. A watching brief on the removal of topsoil recorded building foundations relating to the 19th-century use of the site as a foundry to the N and a sawmill to the S. A subsequent excavation exposed the foundation walls and surface associated the foundry and a stone-walled well to its W. A series of brick walls to the SE suggested later changes to the layout of the foundry. The foundations and walls of the sawmill, plus subsequent changes to the layout of the building during six decades of activity were recorded in the S part of the site.

Archive: NRHE (intended)

Funder: Vita Edinburgh 1 Ltd

Anne-Aymonne Marot – AOC Archaeology Group

(Source: DES Vol 19)

Note

This building is now empty. The north end of the building now overlies what was the Hopetoun Iron Foundry.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 10 July 2014

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions