Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eilean Tigh Na Slige

Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Eilean Tigh Na Slige

Classification Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Eadarloch; Loch Treig

Canmore ID 23904

Site Number NN37NW 1

NGR NN 3473 7683

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23904

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmonivaig
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN37NW 1 3473 7683

For probable logboat and bog-butter trough found near the crannog, see NN37NW 2 and NN37NW 3 respectively.

(NN 3473 7683) Eilean Tigh na Slige (NAT)

OS 6" map (1904)

Eilean Tigh na Slige or Eilean Ruighe na Slige (various traditional names are quoted) is an artificial island or crannog in Eaderloch or Ider Loch, an extension of Loch Trieg. In 1933, during operations connected with the Lochaber Water Power Scheme, the loch was temporarily drained, exposing the island and allowing a complete excavation to be made.

A great oval of rounded stones and boulders was revealed resting upon layers of sandy silt which covered a great mound of vegetable debris naturally deposited in the bottom of the lake.

Very little timber was visible externally but this was not unusual and the excavation revealed a construction of typical Scoto-Irish type in which stout timbers, dressed or undressed, form the skeleton and are held in place partly by upright posts but mainly by masses of stone and earth with intervening layers of brushwood and branches. A date probably within, or perhaps, a little after, the Roman Britain period is indicated. Very little evidence regarding the dwelling was found, so complete has been the destruction of the superstructure, but such evidence as there was pointed to the probability of a single, wooden, oblong dwelling, with a centrally supported tent-like roof. Three superimposed hearths were found on the site as well as a group of three on the surface at the N. end of the island. No trace of gangway to the island was found and access must therefore have been by boat alone.

Finds which were few, included fragments of a sword of probable 16th or 17th century date, portions of leather shoes, a fragment of wool fabric, bronze tweezers, 16th - 17th century earthenware, hand-forged nails and a fragment of a knife, also a silver coin of Mary Queen of Scots (c. 1542-58), and an 18th century brooch. These contemporary references of c.1600 and later references to its alleged use by the outlawed Ronald Og, chief of Keppoch, in its traditional names of Council or Treaty Island point to a permanent occupation ceasing in the latter half of the 16th century and a regular occupation ceasing in the early 17th century.

J Ritchie 1942.

In the West Highland Museum [Fort William] are several logs recovered from a crannog in Loch Treig, and the keel of a boat formed of a single piece of wood found in the loch c.1937.

Visited by OS (N K B), 11 May 1970.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions