Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkton, St Fillan's Priory, Graveyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Cross Incised Stone(S) (Early Medieval)

Site Name Kirkton, St Fillan's Priory, Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Cross Incised Stone(S) (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Strathfillan Priory; St Fillans, Graveyard

Canmore ID 23862

Site Number NN32NE 3

NGR NN 35970 28432

NGR Description Centred NN 35950 28410

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23862

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN32NE 3 centred 35950 28410

See also NN32NE 1.00.

The modern graveyard at Kirkton became disused some fifty years ago. It is a small square enclosure surrounding a circular mound which looks like a Bronze Age burial cairn. Some of the graves have long slabs - probably taken from St Fillan's Chapel (NN32NE 1) - and one has three incised Latin crosses and two shallow 'cup-shaped depressions'.

A D Lacaille 1924.

The graveyard described by Lacaille is at NN 3595 2841, immediately east of the chapel (another burial ground 150.0m to the north is modern).

The dated burials range from the 18th century to 1922 but there are several grave slabs, almost completely turfed over, which may be of an earlier date. One of these has the incised crosses on it, but there are no traces of any cup-markings.

The stone wall enclosing the burial ground appears to be comparatively modern.

The ground in the centre of the enclosed area rises and gives the impression of a mound but this is quite natural.

Visited by OS (E G) 4 May 1962.

Geary confirmed. The incised cross slab is at NN 3596 2841.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 30 April 1969.

The previously-noted slab bearing three incised Latin crosses, seen by RCAHMS in 1977, was re-buried under turf for preservation after being photographed by Daniel in August 1989 (his slab 'B'). He also notes a second slab, 'A' bearing a single Latin cross, situated a few metres W of 'B'. This was also re-buried after photography. His slab 'C' lies above ground some 8m N of 'B'. Broken in two pieces and much weathered, it is incised with three Latin crosses.

RCAHMS 1979; Information from G P Daniel, August 1989.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions