Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arrochar And Tarbet Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Arrochar And Tarbet Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Luss; Arrochar Railway Station; Ballyhennan; Arrochar And Tarbet Station With Control Box, Subway And Gates

Canmore ID 23824

Site Number NN30SW 8

NGR NN 31176 04529

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Arrochar
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NN30SW 8.00 NN 31176 04529

NN30SW 8.01 NN 31135 04504 Control Box

NN30SW 8.02 NN 31141 04508 Subway

(Noted as at Luss; location cited as NN 312 045). Arrochar and Tarbet Station, opened 1894 by the West Highland Rly. A standard West Highland island-platform station, with brick and wooden one-storey building, approached by a subway.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Fort William route (the 'West Highland line') route of the (former) North British Rly opened on 7 August 1894 by the West Highland Rly. It remains in reguular use by passenger traffic, although the ambitious commuter service for which the station was intended ceased in 1964.

The station is of standard West Highland Rly 'island' pattern with a single-storey signal box. As at Ardlui (NN31NW 15), pedestrian access is gained by an impressive subway which terminates in red sandstone or concrete coping with ornamental railings. The goods yard closed on 1 November 1966 and is now a car park.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 November 2000.

B Williams 1988; R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

Originally names Ballyhennan, opened (West Highland Railway) 7th August 1894.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions