Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caledonian Canal, Glen Loy Aqueduct

Aqueduct (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Caledonian Canal, Glen Loy Aqueduct

Classification Aqueduct (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Caledonian Canal, River Loy Aqueduct

Canmore ID 23749

Site Number NN18SW 3.01

NGR NN 14921 81771

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23749

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmallie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN18SW 3.01 14921 81771

Aqueduct [NAT]

Tunnels [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1975.

See also NN18SW 3.00.

This sizeable aqueduct is one of the most significant on the canal.

G Hutton 1992.

This feature, carrying the canal over the River Loy, is clearly marked as Aqueduct on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet cxl) and as Aqueduct and Tunnels on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet cxl), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975) and on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND).

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 6 September 2001.

The aqueduct carries the Caledonian Canal (NN18SW 3.00) over the River Loy a short distance over its debouchement into the River Lochy and just below Loy (road) Bridge (NN18SW 14).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 May 2006.

Activities

Build (March 1806 - October 1806)

Aqueduct built on the Caledonian Canal.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

(Institute Civil Engineers Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 0084/04)

Loy Aqueduct

This stone aqueduct, over the Loy, and an access road, was built from March to October 1806. It was one of five constructed by Simpson & Wilson by 1808 on the 6-mile reach of canal between Banavie Locks and Loch Lochy. Loy Aqueduct had and still has three semicircular masonry

spans of 10 ft, 25 ft and 10 ft set in an impressive retaining facade and the tunnels are about 250 ft long.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions