Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 1 Gilmerton Road, Liberton Bank House

House (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 1 Gilmerton Road, Liberton Bank House

Classification House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Arthur Conan Doyle's House

Canmore ID 237174

Site Number NT27SE 4942

NGR NT 27206 70876

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/237174

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Site Management (9 September 1998)

2 storey stone house with a dual pitched slate roof and slate-cheeked, flat-roofed dormers (now boarded-up). A single storey lean-to with stone walls and a corrugated iron roof sits at the north end. Liberton Bank was once the home of Mary Burton, a pioneer of the Scottish women's suffrage movement who persuaded the University of Edinburgh to accept female students. In the 1860s, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1893) was sent to live at the house as a guest of Burton in order to escape his father who was prone to depression and alcoholism. Mary was godmother to Arthur's sister Caroline, born 1866.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions