Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Haymarket, Heart Of Midlothian War Memorial

War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Haymarket, Heart Of Midlothian War Memorial

Classification War Memorial (20th Century)

Canmore ID 237149

Site Number NT27SW 3835

NGR NT 24125 73249

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/237149

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (21 February 2001)

Clock tower/war memorial with a clock face and inscription panel front and back, also bound foliage around three sides of each face. The sides are plain, but each corner has been flattened and is decorated with a lion's head (top), holding a bound wreath in its mouth and by five square panels inscribed with places of battle.

James Ritchie & Son were clockmakers in Edinburgh.

Inscriptions : On panel on the front of the memorial (south east face): [A heart surrounded by a wreath] / ERECTED BY / THE HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN / FOOTBALL CLUB / TO THE MEMORY OF / THEIR PLAYERS AND MEMBERS / WHO FELL IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1919

On square panels below lion heads, from left of back, clockwise:

VIMY / SOMME / ST. ELOI / AFRICA / GAZA

MARNE / LOOS / YPRES / YSER / JUTLAND

MONS / AISNE / HILL 60 / HOOGE / EGYPT

ARRAS / LILLE / CAMBRAI / FRESNES / STRUMA

On panel on the back of the memorial (north west face): [A heart surrounded by a wreath] / IN HONOURED MEMORY OF / THE PLAYERS AND MEMBERS / OF THE / HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN / FOOTBALL CLUB / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES / IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR / 1939-1945

Signatures : On north west clock face:

James RITCHIE & Son / Edinburgh

Design period : 1921 - 1922

Year of unveiling : 1922

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0189)

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions