Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Taynuilt, Nelson's Monument

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Taynuilt, Nelson's Monument

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Barra Na Cabar; Airdsbay House; Nelson Monument

Canmore ID 23495

Site Number NN03SW 12

NGR NN 00515 31088

NGR Description Removed from NM c. 9971 3213

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23495

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Ardchattan And Muckairn (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NN03SW 12 00515 31088 removed from c. 9971 3213

(NN 0051 3109) Nelson's Mon (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

The granite monolith that now stands on a prominent knoll immediately east of Taynuilt village, and which is known as Nelson's Monument, was originally situated about 1.6 kms to the NW on a low ridge named Barra na Cabar, SW of Airdsbay House (NM 9971 3213) (Thomson 1927). It was lying prone at the time of its removal in 1805 by workmen of the Lorn Furnace (NN03SW 5) and, according to local tradition, there had been other 'pillar stones' lying in the same field in the past. This would suggest that it was originally a standing stone, possibly forming part of a setting of such stones. As it stands at the present time, it measures 1.7 by 0.91 by 0.66 metres at the base and rises to a height of 3.43 metres. Its north face bears a dedicatory inscription.

W Thomson 1927; RCAHMS 1975, visited June 1969.

As described. There is nothing significant to be seen at the original site.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

Visited by OS (R D) 21 October 1971 and (R D L) 7 April 1962.

Activities

External Reference (20 July 1971)

Ancient standing stone transferred from lower ground to

hill 1805 as memorial to Lord Nelson. Inscription.

N.S.A.

T.S.A.

Scheduled Ancient Monument No 4077.

Erected by Workmen of Lorn Furnace as soon as they heard

news of Trafalgar. Believed to be earliest memorial to

Lord Nelson.

Information from Historic Scotland, 20 July 1971

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions