Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Hill

Farmstead (18th Century), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Site Name The Hill

Classification Farmstead (18th Century), Rig And Furrow (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) The Hill Farm

Canmore ID 233945

Site Number NS44NW 88

NGR NS 41276 48835

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/233945

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Dunlop
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS44NW 88 41276 48835.

This farmstead has an U-shaped plan and appears to have been little modernised since the 19th century, leaving evidence for earlier phasing visible; for example a cheese press bears the date 1760. The farmstead comprises a two-storeyed farmhouse flanked to the S by stables, a harness room and a forge and to the N by a byre and a dairy. A barn and a cart shed are in a detached range to the rear (the E) of the main block and a small watermill is to the N, adjacent to the dairy. The farmstead is built of whinstone rubble and has slate roofs. It was visited in 1993. In the surrounding fields can be seen the earthworks of a rig, some of which is slightly reverse-S in plan.

Information from RCAHMS (SS), 20 February 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions