Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Battle Of Stalc, Appin

Battle Site (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Battle Of Stalc, Appin

Classification Battle Site (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Laggan Na Falla, Battle Of Stalcaire Monument

Canmore ID 23304

Site Number NM94NW 8

NGR NM 92708 47268

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23304

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Lismore And Appin (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM94NW 8 9270 4726.

Outside, and immediately behind the churchyard of the Scottish Episcopal Church of St Cross at Portnacrois is Laggan na Falla (the hollow of treachery) where the heaviest fighting of the battle of Stalc took place in 1468.

On a rocky eminence in the graveyard, there is a granite monolith inscribed "1488. Above this spot was fought the bloody battle of Stalc, in which many hundreds fell, when the Stewarts and the Maclarens, their allies, in defence of Dugald, chief of Appin, son of Sir John Stewart, Lord of Lorn and Innermeath, defeated the combined forces of the Macdougalls and the Macfarlanes" - probably assisted by the Campbells.

M E M Donaldson 1926.

The monument (to be supplied by field surveyor) is at NM 9270 4726. Laggan na Falla was not confirmed.

Visited by OS (DWR) 17 November 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions