Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cladh Churiollan, Creagan

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cladh Churiollan, Creagan

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Creran

Canmore ID 23287

Site Number NM94NE 2

NGR NM 98363 45245

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23287

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Lismore And Appin (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM94NE 2 9836 4524.

(NM 98364524) Burial Ground (NR)

This old, disused burial-ground is approximately rectangular and measures about 30.5 metres E-W by 18.3 metres within a dry-stone wall 0.6 metres thick. The earliest identifiable memorial is dated 1772, and the burial-ground continued in use as such into the present century. There are no identifiable remains of the chapel associated with this burial-ground, but it was recorded in about 1630 that a chapel called 'Craikwherreellan' stood in this area and that many natural springs in the neighbourhood were visited annually on St Patrick's Day by people drawn by their supposed curative qualities (W Macfarlane 1906-8; Argyll Synod Minutes 1, 8). The chapel was named on Roy's map of about 1750. About 300 metres to the SW of the burial-ground is a well, housed in a carefully constructed dry-stone building of rubble slabs and quartz boulders. The age of this construction is not known but it is probably of considerable antiquity.

RCAHMS 1975.

Grass-covered foundations of a short stretch of old wall exist within the burial-ground and the remains of several small buildings survive to the south, but neither could be definitely identified as the remains of a chapel. There are several natural springs in the area.

Surveyed at 1:10,000 scale.

Visited by OS (RD) 5 May 1970.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions