Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achnacree, Carn Ban

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Achnacree, Carn Ban

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Alternative Name(s) Moss Of Achnacree

Canmore ID 23223

Site Number NM93NW 1

NGR NM 9227 3636

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

C14 Radiocarbon Dating

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23223

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Ardchattan And Muckairn (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM93NW 1 9227 3636

(NM 9227 3636). Carn Ban (NAT)

Chambered Cairn (NR)

(Undated) OS annotation.

This impressive cairn stands in trees on the north edge of the Moss of Achnacree. It was excavated in 1871 (a). The cairn measures about 24.4 metres in diameter and now stands to a height of 3.4 metres on the south side and 4.1 metres on the north. The peat does not appear to have grown over the perimeter of the cairn, and thus there is a natural hollow round it. The cairn is composed of small and medium sized stones interspersed with a few large boulders. A platform which extends round the base, and composed of the same type of cairn material, stands about 1 metre high, and gives an overall diameter of about 40 metres. The entrance passage, on the SE, is marked by four upright stones, one of which is now leaning out of position. The central pair, set about 1.2 metres apart and protruding 1.3 and 0.4 metres above the cairn material, are the portal stones marking the actual entrance, while the two outer stones may be the remains of a shallow forecourt.

The passage measured 6.4 metres in length, was 0.6 metres in width and was constructed of upright slate slabs about 1 metre in height. It led to three inner chambers constructed of slabs and dry-stone walling and each roofed by a single capstone. The wall slabs of the inner compartment were constructed in such a way as to leave a narrow ledge on which a number of white quartz pebbles had been deliberately placed. One end of the capstone of this inner compartment can still be seen in the disturbed central crater of the cairn, through which access was gained when excavation work was carried out. Two fragmentary Neolithic pottery bowls and one complete bowl were found in the chambers and are now in the NMAS.

R A Smith 1873; A S Henshall 1972; RCAHMS 1975.

As described.

Visited by OS (DWR) 27 October 1971.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions