Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ardchattan, Old Kirk

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Ardchattan, Old Kirk

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Baile Mhoadon; Baile Maodhairi Church; Baile Mhaodain; Kilmodan, Old Ardchattan Kirk; Ardchattan Cemetery; Ardchattan, Old Parish Church

Canmore ID 23219

Site Number NM93NE 1

NGR NM 97102 35342

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23219

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Ardchattan And Muckairn (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM93NE 1 97102 35342

(NM 9710 3534) St Baodan's Ch (NR)

(rems of)

For (successor and present) Ardchattan Parish Church (NM 94491 35955 ), see NM93NW 47.

For Ardchattan, Old Parish Church (NM 9763 3474), see NM93SE 23.

The remains of this church stand within a burial ground about 400 metres NW of Ardchattan Priory (NM93SE 1). The building is ruinous and overgrown, but the east gable wall remains almost intact, whilst the north and west walls stand to a height of about 3 metres above the present floor level.

The church, of single chamber plan, measures 17.2 metres W-E, by 6.4 metres within walls about 1 metre thick. The building seems to have been served by a single entrance doorway near the centre of the south wall, but this is now blocked up by a dry-stone wall.

The burial ground was evidently enclosed by a dry-stone wall of which some remains can be seen on the south side of the church. None of the visible tombstones is of a date earlier than about the end of the 18th century.

It is difficult to ascribe a precise date to the church and little is known of its history. The dedication was either to St Modan or to St Baedan, and it is probably of 15th or early 16th century date. The date on which it was abandoned for worship is not recorded. It may still have been in use about 1630 when it was specifically designated as the parish church of Ardchattan, but it was reported ruinous in 1678. When the church was abandoned, parish services were held in Ardchattan Priory until a new parish church was erected in 1731-2. This, in turn, was superseded by a later church, erected in 1836, at NM 9449 3594.

RCAHMS 1975.

As described. The cemetery was last used in 1885.

Visited by OS (RD) 30 April 1970.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Architecture Notes

See also:

NM93NW 47 Ardchattan Parish Church

NM93SE 23 Ardchattan Old Parish Church

Activities

External Reference (28 August 1980)

Uncertain age. Oblong. Random rubble, much dilapidated.

Overgrown. Roofless. Window in each gable.

Interior: Head-stones on grass-grown floor.

N.S.A.

Groome

T.S.A.

Argyll C.C. 'List'

Burnt to the ground. c.1800.

Information from Historic Scotland, 28 August 1980

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions