Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caisteal Na Nighinn Ruaidhe, Loch Avich

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Caisteal Na Nighinn Ruaidhe, Loch Avich

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Innis Luana; Caisteal Na Nigham Ruaidhe; Caisteal Na Thighinn Ruaidhe

Canmore ID 23170

Site Number NM91SW 1

NGR NM 9166 1375

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23170

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchrenan And Dalavich
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM91SW 1 9166 1375.

(NM 9166 1375) Caisteal na Nighinn Ruaidhe (NR) (remains of)

As described.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 14 October 1969.

Surveyed at 1:10 000 scale.

The ruins of this ancient castle stand on the islet of Innis Luana near the SW end of Loch Avich. The castle occupies the eastern portion of the island and the remains comprise an oblong tower-house standing within a defensive enclosure which contains some remains of outbuildings.

The SE wall of the tower-house stands almost to its full height, but the remaining walls are fragmentary. The building evidently had at least three storeys and appears to have measured about 15.8 metres SW-NE by 11.3 metres at second-floor level over walls 2.3 metres thick at the same level.

Except on the SE side, where the tower-house stands directly above the shore the eastern portion of the island appears to have been enclosed by a stone wall, now very ruinous, but with evidence of lime-mortar construction. In the NW corner of the enclosing wall may be seen what appears to be the jamb of an entrance doorway whilst within the walls at this point are the remains of a small sub-rectangular building measuring about 16.1 metres SW-NE by 10 metres overall. This appears to have been a dry-stone construction divided into two apartments.

Almost nothing is known of the history of this castle, but it was a stronghold of the Campbells. It was certainly in existence in the early years of the 15th century and it may be as early as 13th century date.

RCAHMS 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions