Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelso, Bowmont Street, Kelso High School

School (20th Century)

Site Name Kelso, Bowmont Street, Kelso High School

Classification School (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kelso Academy

Canmore ID 230666

Site Number NT73SW 290

NGR NT 72423 34487

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/230666

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Education has a long history in Kelso, with its origins in a monastic school of the twelfth century. The Protestant Reformers placed particular emphasis on the education of children and enacted a law requiring every parish to have at least one school. Kelso Grammar School, a fee-paying institution for boys opened in 1672, which was the successor of the old abbey school. One of its most famous pupils was the novelist Sir Walter Scott. Other private schools were established in the burgh, some catering for girls, while the 'Ragged School' taught practical or craft skills such as tailoring and shoemaking. After 1873, education became a government responsibility.

The present Kelso High School opened in 1939 and was designed by Reid & Forbes, architects, in the Art Deco style, with South American decorative details. The main range is entered through a central tower with symmetrical two-storeyed wings. The science building, a U-shaped block to the east, also features a tower.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions