Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelso, Shedden Park Road, Gateway To Shedden Park

Gate(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Kelso, Shedden Park Road, Gateway To Shedden Park

Classification Gate(S) (19th Century)

Canmore ID 230575

Site Number NT73SW 270

NGR NT 73145 34120

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Mrs Robertson of Ednam House gifted Shedden Park to the burgh of Kelso in 1851 and the new park took its name from her nephew, Lieutenant Robert Shedden, who died in 1849 and was part of a team searching for survivors of Sir John Franklin's team, whose quest to find the fabled 'North-West Passage' ended in disaster.

The 'triumphal arch' gateway at Shedden Park was built in 1852 following a public subscription in gratitude for Mrs Robertson's gift. The main arch with flanking paired pilasters and entablature is flanked by smaller pedestrian arches. Originally, each of these arches was furnished with wrought-iron gates. Similarly, the wing walls were originally fitted with iron railings but all the ironwork has now gone.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project


Sbc Note (15 April 2016)

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions