Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbride, Campbell Of Lerags Cross

Cross (16th Century)

Site Name Kilbride, Campbell Of Lerags Cross

Classification Cross (16th Century)

Canmore ID 22888

Site Number NM82NE 14

NGR NM 85776 25900

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22888

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmore And Kilbride
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM82NE 14 85776 25900

(NM 85776 25900) Cross (NR) (Restored)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1977)

This cross, 3.13 metres high and 0.69 metres across the arms, was re-erected on its present site in 1926, having lain in pieces in Kilbride churchyard for over 200 years. According to local tradition, it originally stood beside an old road running SE from the coast at Gallanach (NM 82 27) to the Lowlands, which crosses the modern road about 200 metres north of the entrance to the churchyard.

The cross, which has been carved from a single block of greenish schist is profusely inscribed and was originally erected by Archibald Campbell of Lerags in 1516.

J R Allen 1881; J S Richardson 1927; RCAHMS 1975, visited June 1971.

Information from G Livock, (photo), 1940.

As described.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

Visited by OS (R D) 8 September 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions