Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Creagantairbh Beag

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Creagantairbh Beag

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Creaganterve

Canmore ID 22787

Site Number NM80SE 29

NGR NM 8595 0156

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmartin
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM80SE 29 8595 0156.

(NM 8595 0157) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

The stump of this standing stone, with its broken shaft lying prostrate beside it, stands adjacent to the road immediately to the east of Creaganterve Beg farm buildings. Although the stump now stands to a height of only 5' 6", the stone must originally have been about 16' 2" high, tapering towards the top, from a base measuring 2' 6" by 2'. The stone was broken when the shaft was blown down in the Tay Bridge gale of 1879.

M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964; D Christison 1904; F Newall 1960; Argyll County Council 1914.

As described.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

Visited by OS (D W R) 7 October 1971.

NM 859 016 A watching brief was carried out between May and September 2000 on a water pipeline installation along the roadside adjacent to a Scheduled standing stone (NMRS NM80SE 29). No finds of archaeological significance were made.

Report to be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: West of Scotland Water.

G Mudie 2001


Field Visit (June 1982)

This broken standing stone is situated immediately E of the public road B840 in a pasture field and about 140m E of Creagantairbh Beag farmhouse (Campbell and Sandeman 1964). Aligned E-W, the stump measures 1.4m by 0.5m at the base and rises to a height of 1.8m. From the size of the broken portion, which was blown down in 1879, and now lies immediately to the E, it would appear that the original height of the stone was about 5m.

Visited June 1982



MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions