Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Princes Street, St John's Church

Pillbox (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Princes Street, St John's Church

Classification Pillbox (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Edinburgh Defence Scheme; West End

Canmore ID 227628

Site Number NT27SW 3478

NGR NT 24739 73669

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/227628

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 3478 24739 73669

A pillbox, constructed of brick and concrete was situated on the S side of Princes Street, between St John's Church and the pavement. The pillbox was demolished some time during 1944-5.

The structure formed part of the Inner Defence (Red Line) of Edinburgh's defences and was manned by the 6th Battalion Home Guard.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2002

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions