Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Birnam, Perth Road, Drill Hall & Armoury House

Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), House (20th Century)

Site Name Birnam, Perth Road, Drill Hall & Armoury House

Classification Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), House (20th Century)

Canmore ID 226772

Site Number NO04SW 168

NGR NO 03228 41769

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/226772

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Little Dunkeld
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (25 June 2013)

The Birnam drill hall is a cottage-style single-storey hall with single storey attic wing of the same height. It has a two-gable front with asymmetrically-placed porch and is rubble built with stugged dressings. The three-light hall window has a stepped Tudor hoodmould; the door of the porch is shouldered. It has a slated roof with bracketed eaves. Osborne and the Historic Scotland listing document quote 1885 and 1895 respectively as the date of construction. It is clearly marked as a drill hall on 2nd epoch 1:2500 map.

In 1914 it was the base for "G" Company, 6th battalion Black Watch. It is now a dwelling.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 25 June 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions