Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Luing, Kilchattan, Old Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Medieval), Graffiti(S) (Pre-improvement)

Site Name Luing, Kilchattan, Old Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Medieval), Graffiti(S) (Pre-improvement)

Alternative Name(s) Kilchattan Kirk

Canmore ID 22552

Site Number NM70NW 2

NGR NM 74453 09092

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22552

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilbrandon And Kilchattan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM70NW 2 74453 09092

(NM 7445 0909) Chapel (NR) (remains of)

(Note: the siting symbol is erroneous).

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

The ruins of the old parish church of Kilchattan, Luing, stand within a burial ground. It was evidently a small building of oblong, unicameral plan measuring about 12.5 metres E-W by 5.3 metres transversely within walls varying in thickness from 0.9 to 1.2 metres, but due to the disappearance of the east wall the precise length of the church cannot now be established. The remaining three walls are practically complete. A gap in the masonry of the north wall evidently indicates the position of a doorway, while towards the east end of the building there are fragmentary remains of two small splayed windows more or less opposite to each other in the north and south walls.

The date of erection is not known but is probably 12th century. The church first comes on record in 1549 and probably remained in use until 1735 when the new church ( (M) 5) was erected at North Cuan. The dedication was evidently to St Cathan.

A number of outer facing stones bear crudely incised graffiti, probably of pre-Reformation date. The only identifiable funerary monument of a date earlier than 1707 is a recumbent slab within the church bearing the date 1680.

RCAHMS 1975, visited May 1970.

As described.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 13 September 1971.

A gravestone survey which included the monumental inscriptions was undertaken at Kilchattan Kirkyard, by Luing History Group beginning in 2003. Essential checking of all the inscriptions was undertaken in 2005.

Zoe D. Fleming, 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions