Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Craigend Castle

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Craigend Castle

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Canmore ID 225067

Site Number NS57NW 36

NGR NS 54471 77695

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/225067

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Strathblane (Stirling)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS57NW 36 54471 77695

NS 549 774 The field survey component of the 2003 season took place in September. During this exploratory season, 23 sites were investigated and summarily recorded, and a walkover survey conducted of about 31ha.

NS 54471 77695 Craigend Castle.

Sponsor: University of Glasgow.

S T Driscoll, K Brophy and M Given 2003

Architecture Notes

NS57NW 36.00 54471 77695

NS57NW 36.01 54638 77958 Stables

NS57NW 36.02 54741 77905 Gardener's Cottage

NS57NW 36.03 54717 77905 Walled Garden

Architect: Alexander Ramsay 1812 (who completed designs of the owner)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Mitchell Library

Wm. Graham Vol 1. p26 - Photograph

J. Maclehose' Country Houses - Photograph

Site Management (30 May 1991)

Ruinous, roofless remnant of finely-detailed castellated Gothic country house now comprising 2-storey, 7-bay elevation to E, with 3-stage square-plan tower to S and octagonal tower to E. Droved ashlar. Deep base course. Hoodmoulds. Corbelled parapets to towers. Mixture of rectangular and segmental-arched window openings, some with tracery remains. Principal Elevation to E with central porte cochere with small octagonal towers and segmental arches.

Built in 1812, this is the fragmentary remains of what was an extremely well-detailed and impressive country house, which continues to form a significant feature in the landscape. Although much of the original structure of the building has gone, and the building is a roofless, there is still sufficient fabric to show that this was a country house of some distinction with extremely good decoration and fine features. The fine carving to the parapet is especially distinctive. There is photographic evidence to show that the interior of the building continued the Gothic style and included a lavish rib-vaulted entrance hall. It is thought that the house began to lose its structure in the 1950s and 60s. The Gothic building style was fashionable in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It was a romantic, highly decorative building type echoing interest in the medieval period and its values.

The house is set within the grounds of Mugdock Country Park, an area of parkland of c.700 acres with woods, moorland and the remains of the 14th century Mugdock Castle (Scheduled Monument). The building was built by Alexander Ramsay, initially using designs by the owner's cousin, the amateur architect James Smith of Jordanhill and he preserved the original designs as much as possible. Alexander Ramsay (c1777-1847) was an Edinburgh builder, about whom little is presently known. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Activities

Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955.

Photographic Survey (June 1960)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in June 1960.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions