Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Aros House

House (19th Century)

Site Name Mull, Aros House

Classification House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Drumfinn, Drumfin

Canmore ID 22340

Site Number NM55SW 6

NGR NM 5179 5400

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22340

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM55SW 6 5179 5400

Aros House, or Drumfin, designed for Hugh MacLean of Coll by William Burn in 1825, was demolished about 1960. The architect's drawings (in NMRS: AGD/6) show an extensive building in simple Tudor style, but only part of the design was carried out, and it is not clear how much of the structure recorded in early photographs owed to the alterations made by J M Wardrop in 1875.

RCAHMS 1980.

Remains of the associated jetty, sawmill and walled garden are still extant.

R Douglass 1988.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions