Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Leith, 52-56 Queen Charlotte Street, Tenement And Shops

Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, 52-56 Queen Charlotte Street, Tenement And Shops

Classification Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 221887

Site Number NT27NE 994

NGR NT 2723 7621

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/221887

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

Coat of arms of the Masonic Lodge No.5: a wreath of thistles encloses four shields. The two on the right contain the Leith Coat of Arms with the Virgin and Child in a two-masted boat; the two on the left contain a stag with a cross between his antlers.

The Masonic Lodge was reconstructed in 1922 by Thomas Aiken Swan. The building is now a function suite.

Inscriptions : In gilded letters and numbers at top of wreath: No; at bottom of wreath: 5; below wreath: 1688 1922

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1922

Year of unveiling : 1922

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0414)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions