Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, Princes Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (19th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Stirling, Princes Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (19th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Stirling T.a. Centre

Canmore ID 221329

Site Number NS79SE 484

NGR NS 79458 93762

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/221329

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (28 June 2013)

The elaborate symmetrically-fronted baronial drill hall, with cone-roofed drum-towers was built around 1892. The hall lies behind. In 1914 it was drill station for "B" Squadron, Fife & Forfar yeomanry , HQ of and base for "A" Company, 7th battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, and base for No 2 Company Highland Divisional Transport and Supply Column.

The drill hall, later used as a leisure centre, is now derelict.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 28 June 2013.

Architecture Notes

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28604, 1967.

Site Management (18 June 2009)

Early Renaissance detail, 2-storey rubble facade with broad twin tourelles, centre crowstepped wallhead gable. Centre moulded doorpiece with arched and columned panel over. Slated roofs. Good termination to Princes Street. (Historic Scotland).

Built as the HQ of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders' 4th Volunteer Battalion in a vigorous Scots baronial style with twin towers. (McKean)

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions