Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dun Urgadul, Mull

Dun (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dun Urgadul, Mull

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 22062

Site Number NM45NE 1

NGR NM 4947 5527

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22062

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM45NE 1 4947 5527.

(NM 4947 5527) Dun Urgadul (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1976)

Dun, Dun Urgadul: On the W end of a prominent rocky ridge situated 800m W of Tobermory, and about 100m N of the road to Glengorm, there is a pear-shaped dun measuring 13m by 11m within a wall 3.7m thick. The N and S sides and the W end of the ridge are steeply inclined, rising up to 12m in height on the SW, but from the SE there is an easy approach up a gentle slope. The wall now appears as a grass-grown bank of debris standing up to 0.8m in height internally and 2.1m externally, in which stretches of both inner and outer facing-stones are visible as shown on the plan. For added stability the wall has been built in two thickness on the WNW, an interior revetment being exposed for a length of 4.3m. the entrance faces E and is about 0.9m wide.

To protect the vulnerable SE side of the dun, an outer wall has been drawn almost straight across the ridge from NNE to SSW. Originally this outwork must have been a massive structure, but it is now reduced to a low boulder-strewn scarp, at the SSW end of which a number of large outer facing-stones can be seen. There is no trace of an inner face and the position of the entrance is uncertain.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972

Dun Urgadul, a dun as described by the RCAHMS. Though MacNab (1970) refers to it as a vitrified fort, no evidence of vitrifaction was found.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 20 April 1972

Activities

Field Visit (30 July 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions