Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Drimnin House, Formal Gardens

Garden(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Drimnin House, Formal Gardens

Classification Garden(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Drimnin House, Parterre

Canmore ID 219893

Site Number NM55NE 10.02

NGR NM 55363 55070

NGR Description Centred on NM 55363 55070

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/219893

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Morvern
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Drimnin House, 18th century; rebuilt c.1852 How much survives of the old house of the Macleans of Drimnin - a typical three-bay West Highland laird's house with flanking wings of slightly later dates - is uncertain: 'last night Drimnin house was in flames and nothing now remains except two or three broken ruins' wrote Margaret Gordon to her brother in 1849. The interior must be post fire, and probably much of the external masonry too, for though the rebuilt house adopted a footprint similar to that shown in David Wilson's survey of 1836, and repeated other quirks, such as the off-centre position of the windows flanking the entrance in relation to the gabled bays, it is some 10 ft wider today and, behind the render, bears no trace of the Venetian windows shown in James Anderson's survey plans and elevation drawing of 1838. These relate to a proposed scheme of alterations for Sir Charles Gordon - a budget Tudor/baronial facelift. The postfire remodelling introduced spikey Jacobethan detailing and a platform roof. Inside, it acquired a distinctly un-Highland opulence thanks to the involvement of David Ramsay Hay, the leading Edinburgh decorator and protege of Sir Walter Scott, who had decorated Drimnin Chapel a decade or so earlier. Inner doors with etched glass panels bearing the Gordon crest lead into a hall painted to imitate marble, with a pair of scagliola columns and half pilasters screening off the staircase. On the first floor, the former drawing room retains its ornate gilded cornice and stencilled borders of grotesque scrollwork, recently restored by Owen Davison and Sally Cheyne, who uncovered the inscription:"John Brown Painter 22 July 1862 from D R Hay". The improving Sir Charles Gordon (d.1845), Secretary of the Highland and Agricultural Society, upgraded his servants' quarters, built a 'hygenic dairy' (now the laundry wing), and restored the 18th-century farm square that encloses the garden to the north. This, along with a pyramidal-roofed gazebo/apple house and surviving parterres, features on the Wilson survey of 1836.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Activities

Photographic Survey (9 February 2012)

The gardens were recorded as part of the Threatened Buildings Survey carried out prior to proposed alterations. The survey was made at the suggestion of Ian Thornber and Mary Miers.

Information from RCAHMS (STG) 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions