Mull, Calgary House
Country House (Period Unassigned)
- Council Argyll And Bute
- Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Argyll And Bute
- Former County Argyll
NM35SE 25 37759 51264.
(NM 3776 5126) Calgary House: This small castellated Gothic mansion was built by Capt Allan McAskill, who purchased land in Mull in 1817. It was probably completed by 1823. The building was extended to the E, probably in the last quarter of the 19th century, but this addition does not affect the appearance of the original block, which is two storeys in height above a partly sunk basement; it measures 17.7m by 9.5m over all. This house was known as 'Calgary Castle' until about 1940.
Tomb: NM 3774 5188. A large 19th century Gothic design mural monument forms the S wall of a small railed burial enclosure some 200m S of the house.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973.