Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Kilninian Parish Church And Cemetery

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Grave Slab(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mull, Kilninian Parish Church And Cemetery

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Grave Slab(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kilninian Kirk

Canmore ID 21792

Site Number NM34NE 16

NGR NM 39752 45730

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21792

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM34NE 16 39752 45730.

(NM 3974 4572) Parish Church, Kilninian: The existing church of this parish, which was united to that of Kilmore in 1628, dates from 1755 but probably occupies the site of a medieval church. This first appears on record in 1561, where it is stated that the parsonage of 'Keilnoening' had formerly pertained to the abbot of Iona. It is uncertain whether the dedication refers to St Ninian, of Galloway, or to a local saint of the Early Christian period (Watson 1926; Scott et al 1915-61).

The church is an unpretentious structure of harled masonry, measuring 15.2m from E to W by 6.4m within 0.75m walls.

Fourteen grave-slabs and other monuments, dating from the 14th century, which are in the associated burial-ground are described by the RCAHMS (1980).

W J Watson 1926; H Scott et al 1915-61; RCAHMS 1980, visited 1974.

Kilninian parish church is in normal use. No trace of the earlier building survives.

Visited by OS (JP) 3 May 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions