Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Purves Hall, Tower

Pele House (16th Century)

Site Name Purves Hall, Tower

Classification Pele House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 217808

Site Number NT74SE 18.02

NGR NT 76092 44923

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/217808

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Eccles
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Now a private house, Purves Hall tower was once a peel tower; a form of strong, fortified dwelling. Probably first built in the sixteenth century, this building has had many alterations and additions over the years. It was once the seat of the Purves family.

The basic plan of the tower is rectangular, with a more recent addition to the rear. A large eighteenth-century wing to the north-east was demolished by the end of the nineteenth century, leaving a number of rubble projections on the outer wall. A number of features dating from the seventeenth century can still be seen, including the crowstepped gables and the door and window surrounds. Within the house, panelling in a first floor room is thought to date from 1738.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions