Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Tirghoil

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Mull, Tirghoil

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Ross Of Mull; Tiraghoil

Canmore ID 21761

Site Number NM32SE 6

NGR NM 3532 2242

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM32SE 6 3532 2242.

(NM 3532 2242) Stone (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

This standing stone is identified as one of a series traditionally believed to be guide-posts marking the pilgrim way from Green Point to Iona.

T Maclauchlan 1865.

This stone is as described though it is not certainly prehistoric and is possibly a route marker as suggested.

Visited by OS (JP) 15 June 1972.

Standing Stone, Tirghoil: This granite monolith stands in an arable field on the N side of the road 275m NNW of Tirghoil. It measures 0.6m by 0.5m at ground-level and 2.6m in height; the top slopes downwards slightly to the NE. Some stones cleared from the field have been piled round the base.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972.


Field Visit (28 June 1943)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

External Reference (29 October 2003)

Scheduled as Tiraghoil, standing stone of prehistoric or early medieval date, visible as an upstanding feature.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 29 October 2003.

Watching Brief (23 January 2012 - 25 January 2012)

A watching brief was kept on 23 to 25 January 2012 during trenching for an underground power cable to replace an existing overhead line at Tiraghol, near Bunessan, Isle of Mull. The trench ran through mainly boggy ground a short distance from a standing stone (NM32SE 6) and the former township of Tiraghoil (NM32SE 40). Nothing of archaeological interest was uncovered in the trench.

Information from Oasis (scotiaar1-124558) 15 August 2012


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions