Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Coll, Arnabost

Souterrain (Prehistoric), Bead(S) (Glass), Pin (Bronze), Unidentified Flint(S) (Flint), Unidentified Pottery

Site Name Coll, Arnabost

Classification Souterrain (Prehistoric), Bead(S) (Glass), Pin (Bronze), Unidentified Flint(S) (Flint), Unidentified Pottery

Canmore ID 21706

Site Number NM26SW 10

NGR NM 2096 6003

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Coll
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM26SW 10 2096 6003.

(NM 2098 6008) Souterrain (NR) (site of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

Souterrain, Arnabost (Site): There is now no trace of the souterrain that was discovered at Arnabost about 1855 during the construction of the road from Sorisdale to Ballyhaugh; it lay under the carrigeway, immediately S of the junction with the road to Arinagour. From the entrance, which was situated on the NW side of the road and is now covered by a modern house, the passage extended SE in a gentle arc for about 11.6m before it broadened into a roughly circular chamber about 2.1m in diameter. The passage was about 0.7m in width and the walls were corbelled, rising to a maximum height if about 1.3m. The roof consisted partly of stone lintels and, according to the original account (E Beveridge 1903), partly of wood. The use of wood is most unusual, but it has also been inferred in the case of the souterrain at Bankfoot, Perthshire (NO03SE 13).

In 1896 the chamber was excavated and a bronze pin, several fragments of coarse pottery, at least two flint flakes, and some bones and shells were found; two blue glass beads and 'a piece of twisted gold' are also said to have been found on other occasions. Only the two beads and the pin are known to have survived; one bead is in the Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum, and the other bead and the pin are in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS Accession nos FJ 94 and HD 345 respectively).

RCAHMS 1980; E Beveridge 1903; D MacRitchie 1907; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1903.

The site of this souterrain is at NM 2096 6003. The passage is reputed to be still intact under the modern road, but its truncated SE end was sealed up with dry-stone walling some years ago.

Visited by OS (I S S) 19 June 1972.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions