Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stranraer, Edinburgh Road, Stranraer Town Station

Railway Station [19th Century]-[20th Century]

Site Name Stranraer, Edinburgh Road, Stranraer Town Station

Classification Railway Station [19th Century]-[20th Century]

Alternative Name(s) Stranraer Station

Canmore ID 216531

Site Number NX06SE 170

NGR NX 06665 60382

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Inch
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX06SE 170.00 06665 60382

Stranraer Station [NAT]

OS 1:10560 map, 1968.

NX06SE 170.01 NX 06690 60434 Goods Shed

Not to be confused with Stranraer Harbour Station (NX06SE 169), which stands on the East (or Railway) Pier at Stranraer Harbour (NX06SE 33.01), at NX 06197 61369.

For Town Railway Yard (including Motive Power Depot) situated adjacent to N, see NX06SE 215.

Stranraer Town Station is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Wigtonshire, sheet XVII, 1895). It is no longer in use.

Information from RCAHMS (HMLB), June 2002.

This intermediate station on the Portpatrick line is situated on the S side of Stranraer. It was opened by the Portpatrick Rly (Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Rly) on 12 March 1861, being then named Stranraer Station. It was renamed Stranraer Town Station by British Railways on 2 March 1953, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 7 March 1966.

When built, this station was the headquarters of the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee. It was of considerable size, and incorporated a canopy.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 July 2009.

C E J Fryer 1991; R V J Butt 1998.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions