Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newton Stewart Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Newton Stewart Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Newton Stewart Railway Station

Canmore ID 216375

Site Number NX46SW 59

NGR NX 40560 64957

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/216375

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Penninghame
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX46SW 58 40560 64957

Newton Stewart Railway Station is no longer in use as such with the closure of the railway line due to Dr Beeching's cuts. The station buildings are now part of the Station Industrial Estate.

Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ), June 2002.

This intermediate station on the Castle Douglas - Stranraer 'Port Road' of the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Rly was also the junction station for the 'Machars' branch (to Whithorn and garlieston). It was opened (by the Portpatrick Rly) on 12 March 1861, and closed to regular passenger traffic (with the 'Port Road' as a whole) on 14 June 1965.

This station is depicted (but noted) on the 1984 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions