Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stranraer, Church Street, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Stranraer, Church Street, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 216362

Site Number NX06SE 127

NGR NX 05957 60798

NGR Description NX 05957 60798 and NX 05954 60813

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/216362

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Stranraer
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish Records Office

Stranraer. Building of the Church.

Payment of #213 to the Magistrates fo Stranraer 'to enable them to pay for building the Kirk and the ground purchased by them including #20 promised Archibald Paterson above the contract' and after deduction of #326.1.0 already paid.

William Leggate's Account Book.

1785 GD 135/Box 40/3/Entry Number 109

Building of the new Church.

Letter from Archibald paterson acknowledging receipt of #435 for building the Kirk at Stranraer. A further #30 is due.

1786 GD 135/Box 61/27/4

Lighting of the proposed new Church.

Letter: Sir Andrew Agnew to George Guthrie. (Factor at Culhorn) He suggests ways of lighting a church that is in close contact with other buildings by making a cupola or lantern light. He cites as examples St George's Episcopal Chapel, Edinburgh and John Ross's new Dining Room.

ND GD 135/Box 63/27

Activities

Publication Account (1995)

The parish church, or Old Church figure 18: J, known locally as 'the old parish church' or 'the old parish', was built in 1841 On Church Street. It is virtually on the site of the original, erected in 1649. The parish of Stranraer Was carved out of the parishes of Leswalt and Inch, and sits as a small enclave between the two. One of the conditions imposed at the granting of burgh status was that the town should provide itself with its own church. The 1841 stone-built replacement of the original is of Gothic design, with an ashlar-buttressed front to the street; it was described, somewhat harshly, by Mcilwraith in 1877 as 'having very little pretensions to architectural attractions'. Perhaps of greater interest is the nearby graveyard. This was the first town kirkyard, and tombstones date from the seventeenth century. Set on the west wall of the churchyard is a roughly-finished stone, a memorial to Andro Hervy, chapman and possibly bailie, with the partly-legible date ' 169?’.

Although major developments here is unlikely, alterations within the standing building or in the grounds of the church, for example the insertion of new services, may reveal the remains of the earlier 1649, and the 1694 structures.

Information from ‘Historic Stranraer: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1995).

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions