Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, 88-94 High Street, Victoria Halls

Cinema (20th Century), Hall (19th Century)

Site Name Linlithgow, 88-94 High Street, Victoria Halls

Classification Cinema (20th Century), Hall (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 90, 92 High Street

Canmore ID 215056

Site Number NT07NW 239

NGR NT 00296 77159

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Victoria Hall, 1889, J Russell Walker

Built out of a desire to show loyal regard for Her Majesty in the Jubilee year of her reign, it cost £2800, and was opened by the Earl of Rosebery. Wildly out of scale with the street of predominantly two- and three-storey town houses, what really mattered was the Germanic skyline of the corbelled turrets and pinnacles sliced off in the 1937 transformation by Alexander Cattanach to the Ritz Cinema, leaving battlements, machicolations, niches, the great window and round-headed door with rope-moulding.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Site Management (26 June 1995)

Originally called the Jubilee Hall, the building was erected as a new town hall through public subscription. It displays a curious mix of Scots baronial and Germanic styling. The building's corbelled turrets and pinnacles were removed in 1937, when it was converted into the Ritz Cinema by Alexander Cattenach. The battlements, machiolations, niches, rope-mouldings and round-headed entranceway survive however.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions