Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dinwoodie, Old Tollbar Cottage

Toll House (Post Medieval)

Site Name Dinwoodie, Old Tollbar Cottage

Classification Toll House (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Dinwoodie Toll House

Canmore ID 214924

Site Number NY19SW 103

NGR NY 10430 90151

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/214924

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Applegarth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY19SW 103 10430 90151

Tollhouse, Dinwoodie. Single-storey tollhouse designed by Thomas Telford and built by John MacDonald, 1822-3. Projecting bow at the E front; in the W, pointed windows, the centre one of three lights. Broad-eaved piended roof.

J Gifford 1996.

This tollhouse is situated on the W side of the former line of the A74 (T) public road to the S of Dinwoodie Lodge Hotel (NY19SW 83). It is depicted, but not noted. on the 1982 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 March 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

Externally this ashlar masonry building is essentially in its as-built state and is the best surviving toll house on the road. It was built in 1822–23 by John MacDonald to Telford’s standard design with a shallow pitched roof

and broad eaves, somewhat austere, with little ornamentation except for a quatrefoil through the masonry of the chimney head illustrative of Telford’s fondness for the Gothic style. The total cost of the toll house including land, fences, a stable, pig-sty and privy was £314 0s 11d. The toll house ceased to operate as such after the passing of the Roads and Bridges (Scotland) Act 1878, and passed into private hands in which it is still. For many years it has been well maintained by the late Norman Miller and his wife Margaret. The widening and upgrading of the road into the dual carriageway A74 in the 1960s bypassed much of the original carriageway. This does, however, still exist from the toll house southwards as a local access road, from which one can still glean something of the road’s former scale and character. The house was up-listed to category A by the Secretary of State in 1988 on the initiative of the Institution’s Panel for Historical Engineering Works. In 1995 when the adjacent A74(M) road works were being carried out, landscaping of the immediate surroundings of the building was undertaken.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions