Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Beattock, Old Brig Inn

Coaching Inn (19th Century), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Beattock, Old Brig Inn

Classification Coaching Inn (19th Century), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Beattock Bridge Hotel; Old Brig Rest House; Beattock Bridge Inn; Old Brig Rest Home; Evanbank

Canmore ID 214727

Site Number NT00SE 151

NGR NT 07754 02830

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/214727

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkpatrick-juxta
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Architecture Notes

NTOOSE 151.00 07607 02752

Old Brig Rest Home [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

NT00SE 151.01 NT 07740 02808 Stables

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Designed by Thomas Telford 1821.

Estimate for building 1821. Thomas Telford. 'Information from proprietor'.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

This elegant purpose-built facility for the use and convenience of travellers, formerly known as the Beattock Bridge Inn, was the only one of its kind on the new road. It was designed by Telford, also built by MacDonald, and with the stabling formed a state-of-the-art staging post at Beattock operational from ca.1825. The entry to the stable yard bears the inscription over the arch 'Licensed to let post horses'. Being directly on the line of the road it saved the two miles of travel to and from the previous staging post in Moffat. Externally the building is substantially in its original state with Tuscan columns and entablature at the doorway and, internally, although greatly altered, it is still possible to gain an impression of its spacious utility. Its two chimney stacks are centrally pierced with a semicircular arch, perhaps a more appropriate signature than the quatrefoil at Dinwoodie Toll House. Following the opening of the Caledonian and North British Railways in the late 1840s, use of the staging post declined and eventually the building served as a farmhouse and, more recently, as a restaurant. Its future is presently under review. In a road building context Moffat is also of interest in

having, in the town church yard, the grave of J. L. McAdam who lived nearby at Dumcrieff, where one of

his stone road rollers still survives in the grounds.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Photographic Survey (2008 - 2010)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to probable conversion and subdivision from residential care home to apartments.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions