Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tiree, Kilkenneth

Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name Tiree, Kilkenneth

Classification Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 21464

Site Number NL94SE 5

NGR NL 9507 4456

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Tiree
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NL94SE 5 9507 4456.

(NL 9507 4456) Souterrain (NR) (site of)

OS 1:10000 map (1974)

Souterrain, Kilkenneth, (Site): A souterrain was discovered at a depth of 0.4m during ploughing about 4.6m from the back of the house of John McIntyre (Information from J McIntrye, Kilkenneth), a tenant of one of the small farms in the township of Kilkenneth in April 1916. It was partially excavated in June by Goudie. (G Goudie 1917)

From the entrance, the passage sloped gradually downwards before levelling off; initially it ran in a southerly direction, but after a short distance it curved to the SE. Its full extent was not ascertained, since it was blocked by earth and stones about 15m from the entrance. The walls were corbelled and the roof was formed of stone lintels, all of which remained in situ. The maximum height and width of the passage were 1.7m and 1.6m respectively. The entrance, however, was only 1m high and 0.7m wide, while about 8m from the entrance, where there may have been an inner door, the width of the passage contracted to 0.5 m. Fragments of coarse pottery and several hammer-stones were found in the interior, but do not appear to have survived.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1977; G Goudie 1917.

No trace of the souterrain can now be seen. The site, which was levelled prior to the construction of a new steading, was indicated on the ground at NL 9507 4456 by the nephew of the late John McIntyre.

Visited by OS (R D) 28 June 1972.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions