Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gatehouse Of Fleet, Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Gatehouse Of Fleet, Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) New Rusko; Dromore Station; Gatehouse Station

Canmore ID 212566

Site Number NX56SW 29

NGR NX 54435 62423

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/212566

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX56SW 29 54435 62423

Gatehouse Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1988.

Gatehouse of Fleet railway station has now been converted into a private residence.

Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ), April 2002.

This intermediate station on the Castle Douglas - Stranraer 'Port Road' of the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Rly is situated some 8km NW of the town from which it takes its name. It was opened by that company (as Dromore Station) in September 1861, and was successivly renamed Gatehouse Station (on 1 July 1863), Dromore for Gatehouse Station (on 1 June 1865), Gatehouse Station (on 1 September 1866), Dromore Station (on 1 June 1871) and Gatehouse of Fleet Station (on 1 January 1912). It closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 December 1949, but reopened on 20 May 1950, finally closing (with the line as a whole) on 14 June 1965.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 March 2006.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions