Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Prestwick, Orangefield House

Control Tower (20th Century), Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Prestwick, Orangefield House

Classification Control Tower (20th Century), Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Monkton House; Prestwick Airport

Canmore ID 212481

Site Number NS32NE 95

NGR NS 3587 2707

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/212481

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Monkton And Prestwick
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS32NE 95 35879 27070

For previous Monkton Castle or Tower-House see NS32NE 14

Monkton House or Orangefield is noted in the Ordance Survey Name Book (ONB 1860) as ' A neat and substantially built dwelling House and three storeys high. Slated and in good repair. Attached are one storey slated out offices in good repair. Property of James Sinclair Esq.'.

Originally known as Monkton House, it was built by a Samuel Neilson, a mason for a Hugh Baillie in c.1740, who, due to financial problems rapidly sold it to a James Macrae of Blackheath (Davis 1984). James Macrae renamed the house Orangfield after William of Orange and carried out alterations in the late 18th century. The flanking wings and entrance steps were added in 1906 and in 1933 the house was converted to an hotel following the building of Prestwick Airport (NS32NE 39.00). Used by the RAF and USAAF during World War II, a control tower was built through the roof in 1943 (Strawhorn 1994). The building was demolished in February 1966 when Prestwick Airport was expanded.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2002

Architecture Notes

For previous Monkton Castle or Tower-House see NS32NE 14

For previous Monkton Castle or Tower-House see NS32NE 14

Monkton House or Orangefield is noted in the Ordance Survey Name Book (ONB 1860) as ' A neat and substantially built dwelling House and three storeys high. Slated and in good repair. Attached are one storey slated out offices in good repair. Property of James Sinclair Esq.'.

Originally known as Monkton House, it was built by a Samuel Neilson, a mason for a Hugh Baillie in c.1740, who, due to financial problems rapidly sold it to a James Macrae of Blackheath (Davis 1984). James Macrae renamed the house Orangfield after William of Orange and carried out alterations in the late 18th century. The flanking wings and entrance steps were added in 1906 and in 1933 the house was converted to an hotel following the building of Prestwick Airport (NS32NE 39.00). Used by the RAF and USAAF during World War II, a control tower was built through the roof in 1943 (Strawhorn 1994). The building was demolished in 1966 when Prestwick Airport was expanded.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2002

Activities

Photographic Survey (August 1965)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in August 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions