Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverugie Castle

Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Inverugie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Cheyne's Tower

Canmore ID 21204

Site Number NK14NW 3

NGR NK 10216 48302

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish St Fergus
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NK14NW 3 10216 48302

(NK 1022 4830) Castle (NR)

Cheyne's Tower (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Inverugie Castle, probably late 16th century or early 17th century, is an oblong building with two round towers, one at the NE and the other at the SE corner. It was partly demolished in 1899 (Ferguson 1913): the whole interior is ruinous and the NE tower a total ruin.

An ornamented arched gateway, attached to the S tower, bearing the date 1670, leads into a small courtyard and beyond this an overhead pend leads into a large courtyard flanked on the N and S by ranges of two story buildings. One of the towers is known as the Cheyne tower and traditionally part of the castle structure is dated to the 13th or 14th century, but no part of the existing building can be referred to this period (MacGibbon and Ross 1887-92).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92 ; J Ferguson 1914; S Cruden 1960.

Inverugie Castle, a ruined tower house with two ruined towers at its NE and SE angles. MacGibbon and Ross's plan shows much more than exists now. The buildings which flank the large courtyard appear to be of more recent date than the castle and are possibly associated with the renovation by Ferguson. No trace of the 1670 gateway.

Visited by OS (RL) 17 December 1968.

Architecture Notes

NK14NW 3 10216 48302

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Inverugie Castle.

The National Library of Scotland.

'Tour in the East of Scotland' by James Bailey in 1787. MSS 3294-5. - 1 sketch.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Inverugie Castle.

Dr. Thomas Ross. - Manuscript notes.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions