Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bo'ness, Kinneil Iron Works, Fire Brick Manufactory

Brickworks (19th Century)

Site Name Bo'ness, Kinneil Iron Works, Fire Brick Manufactory

Classification Brickworks (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kinneil Ironworks

Canmore ID 211827

Site Number NS98SE 160.01

NGR NS 98835 81347

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NS98SE 160.01 9884 8135

A firebrick works supplying Kinneil Iron Works is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch and 25-inch maps (Linlithgowshire, 1856, sheet 1). Annotated as the Fire Brick Manufactory, the map shows a chimney, engine house and kiln.

The brickworks was later demolished when railway sidings were constructed as part of the Kinneil Colliery complex (NS98SE 81)

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2002



This site falls within the Corbiehall and Snab Area of Townscape Character (NS98SE 207), which was defined as part of the RCAHMS Urban Survey Programme 2013. Text relating to the historical development and topography, and present character of the Corbiehall and Snab Area of Townscape Character can be viewed at site NS98SE 207.

Information from RCAHMS (LK), January 2014


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions