Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalkeith, 14 Glenesk Crescent, Eskbank House

House (18th Century), Nunnery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dalkeith, 14 Glenesk Crescent, Eskbank House

Classification House (18th Century), Nunnery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Andrew's Convent Of Mercy

Canmore ID 211730

Site Number NT36NW 264

NGR NT 32559 66872

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/211730

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Dalkeith
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

At the west end of the town, Eskbank House at 14 Glenesk Crescent is almost contemporary with Woodburn House, being constructed in 1794. Built by the minister of Newbattle, Rev James Brown, the house is five-bayed, with two storeys and basement, and steps sweeping up to the main entrance, which has Roman Doric columns, an architrave cornice and a finely detailed radial fanlight. The boundary walls and gate piers are also typical of the quality building of the period in Dalkeith.

Information from ‘Historic Dalkeith: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions