Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalkeith, 200 High Street And 61 St Andrew Street, Corn Exchange

Ballroom (20th Century), Corn Exchange (19th Century)

Site Name Dalkeith, 200 High Street And 61 St Andrew Street, Corn Exchange

Classification Ballroom (20th Century), Corn Exchange (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Empress Ballroom

Canmore ID 211720

Site Number NT36NW 259

NGR NT 33399 67526

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/211720

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Dalkeith
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT36NW 259 33399 67526

The Empress Ballroom was formerly Dalkeith Corn Exchange

Information from RCAHMS (TIC), March 2002

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: David Cousin 1854

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

At 200 High Street, stands the once impressive Corn Exchange figure 16. Built by public subscription, it was the biggest indoor grain market in Scotland. Twin gabled, in Jacobean style, it has a hood-moulded entrance. The gableheads are surmounted with ball finials and weathervanes. The high open hall inside has a double-hammerbeam roof and a gallery to its west. Although now somewhat dilapidated, it is a fine encapsulation of Dalkeith's nineteenth-century status.

Information from ‘Historic Dalkeith: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

Standing Building Recording (6 May 2013 - 10 May 2013)

Headland Archaeology was commissioned by Melville Housing Association to undertake a programme of desk-based assessment and historic building recording at Dalkeith Corn Exchange. The structure is located near the northern end of the High Street, and is oriented approximately east-west, with a second façade on St Andrew St. It was designed by David Cousins in 1853 and opened the following year. The building replaced an open corn market, and served as market and meeting place until the mid 1940s. At this point, the hall was converted into a ballroom, with a number of structural modifications including a substantial timber partition and lowered ceiling. In 1961 it was taken over by Ferranti as a training annexe, with further structural modifications include a single storey addition to the northern side.

The building has lain vacant since the late 1980s. Several attempts to find a use for the structure have been unsuccessful, although some renovation work has been undertaken. The present application by Melville Housing Association is for full renovation of the building and its conversion into an office and museum space.

A full written and photographic record was produced that clearly illustrates the changes of use in the fabric of the building. Since a large proportion of the interior plasterwork had been removed, many of the structural alterations were visible.

Information from OASIS ID - headland1-152741 (Jurgen van Wessel) 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions