Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverallochy Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Inverallochy Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Of Inverallochy; Loch Faulds

Canmore ID 21143

Site Number NK06SW 4

NGR NK 04082 62947

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21143

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Rathen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NK06SW 4 04082 62947

(NK 0408 6294 ) Castle of Inverallochy (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959).

Inverallochy Castle, begun probably about 1504 by Sir William Cumyng, is a massive but ruinous building (incorporating a keep) occupying three sides of a courtyard, with a high enclosing wall along the fourth or south side. Only the NE wall of the keep, with simple gable, and a fragment of chimney survives to full height; the remainder is largely grass grown mounds of stone. (MacGibbon and Ross 1887-92; HBD No.6) MacGibbon and Ross' plans show much more than exists now.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Inverallochy Castle, is generally as described. The interior is now obscured by fallen debris.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RL), 15 January 1969.

(Designated Site of Regional Significance). Remains of a castle, of late 15th-early 16th centuries, built for Sir William Cummyn: a massive but ruinous building (incorporating a keep) occupying three sides of a courtyard, with a high enclosing wall along the fourth (S) side. Only the NE wall of the keep, with a simple gable and a fragment of chimney, survives to the full height. The remainder is largely grass-covered mounds of stone, and the interior is obscured by fallen debris. The sides are of unequal length, giving it a wedge shape on plan. The ground floor and courtyard were raised c. 1.5m above the level of the land around. The entrance was in the centre of the N front, through an arched doorway and passage. Its only peculiarity is the closet, with its shoot to the outside, and a cross bar for supporting a seat fitted into slot-holes; while serving its legitimate purpose, it also also narrowed the opening against intruders.

NMRS, MS/2059.

Activities

Photographic Survey (May 1963)

Photographs of Inverallochy Castle, Aberdeenshire in 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions