Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveresk Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Inveresk Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 210534

Site Number NT37SW 642

NGR NT 34969 71441

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes


Inveresk Station opened 22/06/1846; closed 04/05/1964.


Watching Brief (August 2008)

NT 3499 7149 In August 2008 a desk-based assessment indicated that the development was in an area which contains a dense distribution of prehistoric, Roman and medieval remains. Although no significant remains are known to exist on the site of the new conservatory it lies on the line of the 19th-century lane linking Inveresk Station with Carberry Road.

The building contractor’s groundworks, monitored on 13 August 2008, involved the hand excavation of strip

foundation trenches, but no stripping of topsoil outside these trenches. A single potential archaeological feature was recorded, a foundation of stone bonded with lime mortar. This foundation, although undated, was probably relatively recent and had been constructed over made ground.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Mr John McLeod

Richard Heawood (Abercorn Archaeology LLP), 2008


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions